Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Vacation Day 3

"I'm going to have to charge you for that," she said, barely audible over the heavy scratching sound and my own heavy breathing as I pushed the big mattress through the snow and slush-filled parking lot.

"I'm sorry?" was all I could muster, peering around the end of the now-soaked and surprisingly heavy mattress at the apartment manager walking towards me, ten minutes away from starting her eight am shift.

"It won't be much, only twenty bucks or so, but the waste removal company charges us for big stuff like that, so I have to charge you."

I nodded quietly, the sweat from my morning's workout still running off my forehead and dripping off my brow. "Sure, okay. I understand. Whatever," I said as I resumed parting the slush with the mattress.

"You look good," she called as I past her. "You've lost a lot of weight. I can see it. Still going strong. You look good."

"Thanks," I said. "Just drop the bill off at the apartment when it's convenient."

That was nice. And unexpected. Turns out I like random compliments. I'm not even mad about the $20. lol.

292.9

No comments:

Where I've Been and Where I'm Going