Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Huffin' and Puffin' and Sweatin'


Katschi asked us to post some post-workout photos, so here's my entry into the wet t-shirt contest. I'm thinking I've got a chance, though rumor is you gotta show skin to win. Also, no, I don't smile in pictures. I don't like having my picture taken. Whatever. Did that sound defensive? lol.

Today I decided that part of focusing on the workout meant stepping it up a bit. I keep a workout journal running, so when I checked it for deadlifts today, I saw that I'd been lifting the same weight for four weeks in a row. I haven't missed a rep yet. Obviously it's time to move up, so I kicked it up by 10 pounds. Same thing with the high-rows and the mid-rows. I need to get to a place with these lifts where they're hard again. Where I'm missing reps. Where I'm not yet strong enough to lift the weight. I think I've just been coasting on my improvements, and it's not doing me any good.

I also kicked the elliptical up to level 12. It'll be my new home for awhile - I think I've been on 11 for an entire month, when I used to go up every week or two. Yikes! Complacency has obviously set in, even when I'm at the gym!

Take a look at your routine. Are you challenging yourself? Is it time to reassess, adding time, distance, speed, weight or reps to your current workout? Think about it.

278.6

11 comments:

WWSuzi said...

I fee bad because although i get red in the face and i'm breathing hard like crazy i don't sweat that much!! oh well :)
Awesome idea on upping the weights! You do have to keep pushing yourself to get improvements!!

Will Phillips said...

That's a sexy, sexy photo, bro. bet it'll drive the ladies wild!

I think you made a good point about continually adding weight and improving, whether it's cardio or weight training. If you don't, your body gets adapted to the exercise demand you're putting on it, and things being to plateau.

And plateauing is the last thing we want to do, right?

Ripx180 said...

You must be pretty tall?.. You don't look like you weigh in the 270s. I get all nasty sweaty when I work out also. Proof of D&A removal (fat that is). Good call on adding more weight and switching things up you have to continually confuse the body or it will adapt and become efficient. Keep after it!

Roder said...

Tall? Hardly. I'm 5'10". I'm wearing a XXXL shirt here, so it might be hiding my goods a tad.

Loud Spirit said...

Roder - I work out with a personal trainer 2 times a week. Mostly because I am a complete nerd when it comes to the gym - i just don't know what to do. I'm learning so much - but he either ups my weight or my reps almost every week. It's really brutal - but the change in my endurance has been unbelievable - I would never have guessed I could do the work out I now do (I just started my 6th week of personal trianing).

I sweat so much that I have had to revert to the 80's and wear a headband to catch the sweat in an attempt to avoid it dripping off my nose. I always admire people who can work out hard and not sweat.

I heard that it does take skin to win - but I admire your willingness to post a pic - so you'll get my vote.

Geoff said...

The best way to continue improving in strength training is through linear progression, which means increasing the weight every single workout, even if only by 2 pounds. Then when you get to the point where you're missing reps, drop the weight 15-25 pounds and work back up to it, again increasing every workout. If you get a chance I recommend reading Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, as it outlines the basics of strength training in an interesting and straightforward manner, and shows you how to make the most out of your time in the gym. I learned a lot from that book.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Sounds like you are going good!

Brightcetera said...

ME-OW!!!!
You are totally hot, Roder!
Thanks for being a good sport.
I think we should be proud of the sweat AND show it off!
I tend to get complacent as well with working out. I need a kick in the ass every once in awhile but it's hard to do with chubby legs.
You're doing awesome!
I can't wait to see all of us hotstuffs at the end of the year!

Ron said...

Good Post.. I know I need to shake things up with my exercise program!!!

nic said...

I had this revelation yesterday and I'm grateful I'm not alone. It's the only way we can keep improving.

Sounds like you're doing great! Keep up the good work!

Stages of Change said...

Right on man, that's a look that I've always been proud to rock. It means big things have gotten accomplished.

Here's to much more of the same, for us both, as the trip continues.

Where I've Been and Where I'm Going